Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wayfaring Stranger

Like many a savage beast across this blue planet, I greatly enjoy music. There is no genre that I listen to exclusively. I simply like good music and no, rap does not qualify as music in my estimation.

There is music and there is music. There are the tunes that fill the ear as a modest fare sates the stomach at meal times, filling and satisfying. Then there are melodies that do more than cause a foot or hand to tap out rhythm; there are songs that dance chills along the spine and force the hairs across the neck to stand straight as if touched by a chill wind. There are songs that reach out an ethereal hand and reach right into your chest and stop you in your tracks. They are a rarity, but such a song found me today and I wanted to share.

I was listening to pandora.com (and again a thank you to Dave for pointing out this site) while clacking away dutifully on work that pays the bills. General Taylor, by Great Big Sea had just finished and it was followed by a haunting voice that seemed to fill the air and from the first phrase I was pole-axed. I have actually heard the words before as it is an old hymn, but never have I heard it like this. The group is called Anonymous 4 and the song Wayfaring Stranger. I tried to play it again from Pandora but alas, I could not go back to repeat it. I jumped over to Amazon.com and downloaded the MP3 for .99 and it has been on repeat for the last 20 minutes. I'll not say anymore about it as I would like to hear what you think of the tune if you are so inclined to take a listen. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: