Friday, December 22, 2006

Bah..Santa's Elves are loafers!

Ah yes, Christmas is upon us. And it has set in around this southerner's house with a vengeance. Meal planning, gift purchases, gift projects, and family gathering scheduling; it all seems to happen at once. I am not complaining in the least, I have just been busy.

The Mrs. had requested that she get a fancy new vanity in our bathroom as her gift and after receiving delivery, I set to it. The project evolved, as I am sure you do-it-yourself types know it can, into quite an undertaking. New vanity is of the antique sideboard variety. The old vanity was the modular, veneered, particle board type. It might not have been what the lass liked, but it will make one hell of a mobile work table when I am finished with it.

Careful demolition only confirmed what I had thought of the contractor who built this house – a cross eyed, crack smoking half-wit, who waddled around equipped with a big hammer and a homemade tape-measure. The drywall was skewed, filled with screw holes (from some jack-ass searching for the “spot” - like a young lad with raging hormones getting his first taste of “lucky” in the backseat of his buddy's car), and dented for reasons I can't fathom.

After a few hours of curse-filled drywall repair, tile was the next order of business. That went fairly easily, if time consuming. The new vanity had to be modified so the plumbing would fit through the back. For some reason, I just get a gleam in my eye when a power tool is in my hands. I took a side trip or two, and ran my Sawz-All through a few things that had been “asking for it”.

Painting, plumbing, faucets and done! Now I just have to figure out how to gift-wrap it! So, count your blessings, boys. Some of you get to run out and buy your significant other something that fits nicely in a small box. Yeah. Yeah, I hear ya. If she can put up with me she is more than worth it. Well, you might be right. Talk to ya soon.

No comments: