Thursday, August 09, 2007

Set Ups, Snakes, and Bunny Rabbits

Last week while chatting with my amigo Dave, he asked me for my opinions on Marc MacYoung's books. I answered that I had read none of Mr. MacYoung's printed material, only that I was familiar with his website and the “Animal List” (both damn good by the way). Dave recommended the books without hesitation. Well I am one of those horses who doesn't mind taking a drink if someone goes to the trouble of leading me to a pond; so after saying our farewells I be-bopped over to my desk and went straight to Amazon to peruse the titles of Marc “Animal” MacYoung. I settled on two books and checked out. The wait began.

Pulling into the drive one Friday afternoon, I saw the small box, with a smile on the side, just outside the front door. I knew that all my weekend “penciled-ins” had just been erased. I made my way inside, put the box on the table, and greeted the family. As we caught up on the day's experiences, I nonchalantly made my way over the box with all the stealth of a 400 pound sumo in a hot pink mawashi. I happened to look up and see that I was getting, “The Look” from the Mrs.

“I just want to look, babe. I won't touch until you have finished your story.”

I ripped open the box and pulled out my two new friends, Cheap Shots, Ambushes, and Other Lessons and A Professional's Guide to Ending Violence Quickly. I flipped them over and read the backs of each as the Mrs. and I continued our conversation.

“You think that is funny?”

“Wha...? No, no, it was just this part about pogues and jungle gyms.” The glare I received told me I should step away from the books. The little voice inside my head became frighteningly loud, “Move Away!” I listened to that voice. Trouble only follows when I ignore it. I did not return to them until later that evening around 11:30.

Beer on the coaster (that's right, and it wasn't even a folded napkin this time but a real coaster)I threw my feet up on the coffee table and began to read Cheap Shots, Ambushes, and Other Lessons. The author had me hooked by page three of the introduction with his recommendation that I “crack a beer and sit back”. Beer raised in toast, I continued on. Four empties in as many hours later and I figured I should hit the hay. I finished my first read of the book the following evening. My impression of the first title is simply put – go and get it.

Marc MacYoung's style is such that he is sitting right there with you, adding to the empties pyramid, carrying on a conversation. This is no small feat when writing a how-to manuscript. His sense of humor only adds to feeling that he is one of your friends, letting you in on a few 'pearls of wisdom' that has kept him from becoming fertilizer.

This book will not teach you all the mechanics of how to throw a punch. Marc assumes that you either have training and/or are training in some form of martial art. Bastardizing one of his analogies -- he will not show you the operational characteristics of the tools themselves, but how the employ the tools you already have to reach a desired outcome – in this case, your living to fight another day. Get it? There may be parts of the book that you feel do not apply to you and that's O.K.. But there is something in this book that everyone can apply to their daily lives, even if they don't travel in the circles that the author has traveled. You know the adage, “Plan for the worst...”

I will warn you now, this book is not politically correct. You will find colorful metaphors throughout. That doesn't bother me at all, it lends the author an added feeling of 'no frills' honesty and besides – he talks like most of the folks I hang around. But if your panties are liable to get all bunched up, then I would recommend that you steer clear of this book. More is the pity; there are things written there that could save your life.

So go out and learn yourself something. I have to get back to learning how the pros do it.

No comments: