Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Ramblings

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died
Everybody talking to their pockets
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long stem rose
Everybody knows...

Just listening to a little Leonard Cohen and thought I would share. This is what slightly off-kilter folks listen to. Now you know.

I picked up a couple of books today in an effort to improve my writing. I am now the proud owner of Strunk and White's, “The Elements of Style”. This book is compact but a quick scan shows it to be full of excellent writing rules and tips. It is going right next to my dictionary once I finish reading it. Then maybe I won't think I need to check my fly when someone tells me I have a dangling participle.

The second book is “The 3 a.m. Epiphany”, by Brian Kiteley. This text contains around 200 writing exercises and the title boasts “Uncommon writing exercises that transform your fiction.” I don't have any works of fiction to transform, but I thought the book looked interesting and who knows maybe I will have a short piece of fiction that is not too embarrassing to post.

I already know that I like, “The Elements of Style”; will keep you updated on the Epiphany, especially if I have one. A multi-epiphany would be great. Now where did your mind just go?

Talk to ya soon.

No comments: